There is documentation listed here:
And there are two reasons to use this utility:
1. Change the time of when a job runs - recommended
2. Change the next run time of a job to force it (only available for applicable jobs and should only be done when needed)
3. Change the pattern of when a job runs - not recommended unless absolutely necessary
I recommend two things:
1. Schedule your jobs to run when it's acceptable to run them such that they will not impact users - this is a major best practice and prevent performance problems during the day by preventing heavy jobs from running while users are in the system.
2. Only change jobs recurrence pattern when you have an absolute need to change them. For instance, you have identified a requirement to take over re-indexing maintenance yourself and thus will schedule the job way out in the future to prevent it from running.
Outside of that, I would not change anything else unless you know it's necessary (guided by support or it's causing issues like the re-indexing issue).
Hopefully that helps clarify. Thanks!