CRM Job Editor

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Hi I am trying to get a better understanding on the CRM job editor and have not been able to find any good documentation on it. Basically I found out we have this tool implemented in our CRM 2011 farm. We discovered it is rebuilding indexes so I want to disable the reindex step "reindex all" since we do it but need to find out which option controls the built in tool that monitors query performance and adds indexes for performance. The indexes in question are ndx_systemmanaged indexes that get added to the dbase. I believe that may be the indexing management option but hopefully someone can get me documentation to clear this up.
I do not have access to the server thee tool is installed onto.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Hi, this only changes the out of the box job settings for CRM (it isn't anything more than an editor 😊). What you will want to do is schedule your reindex all job way out in the future so it is getting skipped (since you're maintaining indexes yourself). Finally, there is no query monitoring done today in CRM 2011 and 2013 that would auto-add indexes - however the index management job in CRM will add several standard indexes each time you create new relationships/lookups in CRM to help make the lookup joins and queries performing well.

Hope this helps answer your questions - thanks!

Sent from my Windows Phone

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Thank you so I believe you just confiormed for me the index management portion adds the indexes per the below.

Thanks for the info.

- however the index management job in CRM will add several standard indexes each time you create new relationships/lookups in CRM

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Could I get some documentation explaining in detail all the options in the CRM job editor. I plan to turn some of the options off but would feel better if I had more details other than what’s in the pull down.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM
There is documentation listed here: http://crmjobeditor.codeplex.com/documentation

And there are two reasons to use this utility:
1. Change the time of when a job runs - recommended
2. Change the next run time of a job to force it (only available for applicable jobs and should only be done when needed)
3. Change the pattern of when a job runs - not recommended unless absolutely necessary

I recommend two things:
1. Schedule your jobs to run when it's acceptable to run them such that they will not impact users - this is a major best practice and prevent performance problems during the day by preventing heavy jobs from running while users are in the system.

2. Only change jobs recurrence pattern when you have an absolute need to change them. For instance, you have identified a requirement to take over re-indexing maintenance yourself and thus will schedule the job way out in the future to prevent it from running. Outside of that, I would not change anything else unless you know it's necessary (guided by support or it's causing issues like the re-indexing issue).

Hopefully that helps clarify. Thanks!
Sean

Marked as answer by seanmcne on 11/29/2015 at 8:32 PM